Welcome to an extremely rewarding experience by becoming a City of Norfolk Volunteer with the Norfolk Public Library! Volunteers work side-by-side with city employees to strengthen customer service and programs and in effect enhance and emphasize NPL’s relationship with the local community. Our volunteers make a difference in the quality of life for residents and visitors. See how in this NorfolkTV video.
The Norfolk Public Library is a diverse, interactive and resourceful tool serving the community of Norfolk. There are many opportunities to suit different interests within NPL, and each branch is in need of volunteers!
The Norfolk Public Library has opportunities available for adults, students (age 13 and up), and families (age 8 and up volunteering alongside an adult over age 18).
Come and join our team by volunteering your time in various library volunteer positions. We look forward to hearing from you!
Volunteer Application for Individuals
Volunteer Application for Groups (pdf)
If you are 18 years of age or older, you must submit a background check before you will be permitted to volunteer with NPL. This is required because of the large number of children who use our branch libraries. Please fill the form out and submit it with your volunteer application if you are 18 or older; applications without this document will NOT be reviewed.
- Training with hands-on opportunities
- Experience working with the public and diverse public service professionals
- Get to know new people and help those who need you
- Share your skills
- Keep busy and be involved
- Explore a new career and do something different
- Potential credit for educational community service requirements
- Related volunteer work may be counted as experience on resumes and job applications
- Potential reference letter for a job application
- Volunteer mileage deduction on your Federal Tax Return
- Volunteer recognition and appreciation
- FUN AND EXCITEMENT
Volunteer Rewards for Hours
- 25 hours--1 FREE FNPL Book Sale Item voucher
- 50 hours—NPL water bottle
- 100 hours – NPL CD holder
- 200 hours -- Movie tickets—Cinema café (2)
- 300 hours -- NPL Lunch box/cooler
- 400 hours -- NPL Nylon Drawstring Sportpack
- 500 hours -- NPL logo Shirt
- Holiday Gift
- Summer Luncheon
- Volunteer of the Month Opportunity